Effective Date: February 7, 2020
Ransom Everglades School (“School,” “we,” “our,” or “us”) provides this privacy notice to inform you of how we may collect, use, and share personal information that you and others provide us through our website, www.ransomeverglades.org (“Site”), including embedded web applications that link to this privacy notice (together, the “Service”).
When using our Service, you may voluntarily provide personal information about yourself and others to the School or to service providers acting on our behalf. This may include information such as your name, contact information, employment information, financial account or credit card information, or additional information you choose to provide to us. For example, we may collect this information when you donate to our School, create a profile with us, or send us an inquiry.
You may choose to provide personal information about Ransom Everglades students, prospective students, and other individuals applying or registering for our other programs, such as their names, ages, genders, birth certificates, addresses, medical information, extracurricular interests, and educational information. We may collect this information, for instance, when you submit an admission inquiry, upload admission information to our Parent Portal, or complete a student’s forms.
We may also receive information about students and prospective students from third parties and combine that information with other personal information that we collect. For example, when your child uses the SSAT to apply to the School, the SSAT will share your child’s test information with the School for our admission purposes. Similarly, when you apply for financial aid through the Tuition Aid Data Service (“TADS”), TADS will share your information with the School for our financial aid purposes.
We (or third parties as described below) may also collect technical information about your visit to our Service, such as your domain name, IP address, browser type, device identifier, activities on the Service, and date and time of your visit. We may use your IP address to derive your device’s general location.
We may use the personal and technical information we collect for any lawful purpose. These purposes include, but are not limited to, the following:
- To provide the School’s services, including to process applications for admission and financial aid, provide instruction, create student and parent directories, and register you or your child for School programs and services;
- To respond to your inquiries and requests;
- To fundraise and process financial donations;
- To communicate with website visitors, students, parents, applicants, alumni, and others;
- To provide updates, surveys, and other content that may be of interest to you;
- For business purposes, such as analytics, research, advertising and marketing, payment processing, and operational purposes;
- To maintain, operate, customize, and improve the Service;
- To comply with law enforcement and maintain the security of our Service and our School; or
- As otherwise disclosed at the time of collection or use.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We may share the personal information we have collected through this Service with other parties including, to the extent permitted by law:
- With parents/guardians of a student;
- With our teachers and other employees of the School;
- At your direction or request, such as providing student information to third parties related to standardized testing, transfers to a new school, in connection with financial aid applications and administration, or applications and placement for higher education;
- With accreditation, oversight, and research authorities;
- With other members of our School community, such as through the publication of student and parent directories;
- With our School alumni, such as through the publication of alumni directories;
- With volunteers, contractors, consultants, and other third-party service providers that we use to support our School and provide services including academic, enrollment, tuition, fundraising, and communications or marketing services;
- As part of a sale, merger or acquisition, or other transfer of all or part of our assets including as part of a bankruptcy proceeding;
- Pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other legal process or as otherwise required or requested by law, regulation, or government and oversight authorities, or to protect our rights or the rights or safety of third parties, including in connection with a health or safety emergency and in connection with disciplinary proceedings; or
- With your consent (on behalf of yourself or as a student’s parent/guardian) or as otherwise disclosed at the time of data collection or sharing.
The Service also includes both embedded web applications and links to third-party websites where you may be able to submit personal information directly to those third parties. Please see the section on “Third-Party Links” below for more information.
We may share technical information, as well as any other information that has been de-identified or aggregated so that it does not identify you personally, without restriction.
Some parts of the Service allow you to participate in public forums or interact with other users. When you participate in these features, the information that you provide will be available to other Service users and/or the general public.
Analytics & Advertising
We may work with third parties that collect data about your use of the Service and our other online services, and other sites over time, for non-advertising purposes. For example, the Service uses Google Analytics to improve the performance of the Service and for other analytics purposes. For more information about how Google collects and uses data when you use our Service, visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/
, and to opt out of Google Analytics, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
We also may partner with ad networks and other ad serving providers (“Advertising Providers”) that serve ads on behalf of us and others on non-affiliated platforms. Some of those ads may be personalized, meaning that they are intended to be relevant to you based on information Advertising Providers collect about your use of the Service (other than myCOMPASS) and other sites or apps over time, including information about relationships among different browsers and devices. This type of advertising is known as interest-based advertising.
Third-Party Tools and Links
The Service includes the embedded myCOMPASS web application. This web application, which is operated by a third party, may collect personal information from students for educational purposes when they use myCOMPASS. For example, students may provide personal information when they upload files or connect with teachers and classmates on discussion boards. Ransom Everglades has consented to this collection of personal information from students on behalf of the students’ parents or guardians. Parents can also use myCOMPASS to submit forms and do other tasks that may include providing us with personal information.
In addition, the Service may provide links to other third-party websites or apps, such as to application services that can be used for the School and other institutions. The Service may also include integrated social media tools or “plug-ins,” such as social networking tools offered by third parties. If you use these tools to share personal information or you otherwise interact with social media features on the Service, those social media companies may collect information about you and may use and share such information in accordance with your account settings, including by sharing such information with the general public. Your interactions with these third-party companies and your use of their features are governed by the privacy policies of the companies that provide those features. We encourage you to carefully read the privacy policies of these companies.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
If our information practices change, we will post these changes on this page. We encourage you to visit this page periodically to learn of any updates.
Updating Your Preferences and Information
You may unsubscribe from our promotional emails at any time by following the instructions included within any email you receive from us.
You may request to review, change, or update your personal information, or the personal information of a child of whom you are the parent/guardian, by emailing us at email@example.com
. If you have created a profile or profiles through the Service, you may also review, update, or change your personal information by logging into your account or accounts and following procedures to update the information.